I just finished up another year and I have to say, it may have been one of my best. In honor of me, not in a prideful way at all, I want to share with myself and my friends here at The Littlest Way, the things I have learned in the past year. I did this a year ago as well so it will be interesting to see if any make the list twice. Oh, and these are in no particular order.
1. The world will always try to steal my time with God.
It will try it’s hardest to be noisier and faster and make me always feel like I don’t have enough time to spend in quiet with God.
2. Wanting to exercise and actually exercising are two very different things.
What’s the old saying, “The road to hell is paved with good intentions.”
3. This season of life looks like this a lot of the time. Just do the next thing…or take a break, it will still be there when I get back.
Today’s massive trying-to-get-all-the-laundry-caught-up-after-the-flu-tried-to-kill-us session powered by the sounds of Anna on the piano and the scents of “Uplift” and “Purify” in the diffuser. Click the temporary link in my profile to read why I buy my Edens Garden essential oils from Amazon. #adayinthelife #momofboys #momofgirls #momofteens #itsabeautifullife #joyfilledlife #lent #largefamilyliving #amothersheart #catholicmom #soccermom #essentialoils #laundryisneverdone #nowisnow #nowisgood #begrateful #attitudeofgratitude #encouragement #edensgardenessentialoils
4. Exercise will never naturally put itself in a place of priority, I have to do that.
And I have to do that not to look good, but to be healthy–mentally and physically.
5. Food can’t be convenience, it has to be intentional.
The easiest to reach for is not always the best for me.
6. Hard can be holy and He has a plan far greater than anything I can imagine.
We snuck out of the house for an early #morning breakfast date. I owed her big time. This cutie took care of us when we had the flu. Sometimes, when I totally feel like I’m sucking air at this #motherhood thing, this hard and holy vocation, I have to remind myself–I didn’t plan any of this. God alone decide I was to be the momma of this gang of kids. He knew my faults and weaknesses. He knew theirs as well. He knew the ways I would blow it on a daily basis…and yet He chose me for them…and them for me. #goodmorning #itsagreatday #joyfilledlife #nowisnow #nowisgood #itsabeautifullife #iamthankful #momofgirls #catholicmom #mommaofmany #largefamilyliving #amothersheart
7. Money flies far and fast if I don’t pay close attention. (My friend Jessi encourages me in intentional finance.)
8. There is good to be found on the internet and The Littlest Way is a community.
9. I need a blog tribe.
Big lesson for this independent introvert. Thanks to Corrine, Raki, Kori, Herchel, Crystal, and Kelli for welcoming me into the friendship. (And thanks for making me believe I could fly to New Orleans by myself for a blog retreat. And thanks for the walk, after dark, to eat beignets. And especially thank you for not losing me or letting me be taken.)
10. If I don’t write down my prayer requests and intentions I’ll forget them.
That why I created my Bible and Prayer Journal and made it available for you too.
11. People will try to put their monkey on my back and it doesn’t make me unchristian to not let it happen.
I learned this year that some people will try to draw me into their confusion, drama, and unhappiness. I ignored it and refused to play their game. It made matters worse…for them, not me. I was able to stay above and out of the turmoil. I sought my husband’s counsel every step of the way and dang if he isn’t wise!
12. Crocs can take me anywhere I want to go.
1. Jason Aldean concert on Thursday. 2. Church on Sunday. 3. Flying to New Orleans for a blog conference on Monday. Thank you @crocs for taking me where I want to go. Including the soccer fields on Saturday and the grocery store. This post is not sponsored just showing the 😍 I have for the shoes I wear all day, every day. #adayinthelife #nowisnow #nowisgood #crocs #realtree #jasonaldean #countrygirl #church #catholic #catholicmom #blogger #faithblogger #NOLA #LTBLive17
13. Sometimes you just need to talk a walk…even when you don’t feel like it.
Sunday afternoon we took a family walk through the fields and dry creek bed. 3 Things About This Picture: -not everyone wanted to go but everyone had fun -we haven’t walked the fields together since before I had Leo almost 5 years ago -birthing 7 big fat babies, the last of which weighed 11 lbs, takes a toll on your hips 😂 #familywalk #motherhood #momofboys #momofgirls #momofteens #catholicmom #mommaofmany #nowisgood #largefamilyliving #nowisnow #sundayafternoon #familybonding #family Picture #familyfun
14. Everyone I am around and you are around, has a price.
Weigh it carefully. In the case of discerning a college, it’s spiritual and financial. We chose the best spiritually and are praying without ceasing God takes care of the financial.
I’m gonna pull out the sap. You know how it seems like yesterday when your kid was learning to walk. Or how you signed them up for rec soccer with their brothers and sisters because you thought it would be something fun for the kids to do. And then one day, your child comes to you and says, “I don’t think you realize how much I love soccer.” So you start gladly paying and traveling for soccer and what was once soccer twice a week has turned into soccer all week. And what was once one team, becomes two. And what was a love for the game becomes a passion for the game. And then one Saturday in July you walk around a campus that just might become her home. “Whatever she tackles, she conquers.” ●Richard Gilmore #catholicmom #soccermom #benedictineravens #nowisnow #nowisgood #itsabeautifullife #joyfilledlife #settheworldonfire #momofgirls #momofteens #homeschooling #homeschoolmom #momsofinstagram #benedictinecollege #catholic #saints #prayforus
You don’t have to share a January birthday with me to share the lessons you’ve learned this past year in the comments.